I don’t cook a lot but sometimes, I find a recipe that looks easy to follow, is fast and is delicious. I found this video on YouTube about making a better grilled cheese toastie (or as the comments insist, a ‘grilled cheese on toast’). Whatever you want to call it, I tried making it and it tasted great and my son loved it. I have watched the video a couple of times and strongly recommend you to watch it also. Once you’ve done that, this post will make more sense and has a nice little picture to remind you of the details.
- Use sliced white bread, medium thickness, lightly toasted
- Butter one side, ensuring that you push the butter even at the edges (where there may be no cheese)
- Take 50g of mild or medium grated cheddar (it melts better) and spread it onto the buttered side
- Put into an over at 130°C (approx 270°F) at a height of 18cm from the top of the oven
- Grill for 5 – 7 minutes till it’s golden and melted
- Drizzle some Worcestershire sauce [we skipped this] and serve
The main thing that I learnt was to use a lower temperature in the oven to give the time for all the cheese to melt before the rest of the toast burns. I would normally just have gone for a high temperature (200°C or so) instead, in the expectation that it would grill better!
This is here for me to remember but it’s great if it helps someone else also. Enjoy!